About Camp Farley
Camp Farley is a 4-H affiliated not for profit organization with a long tradition of providing an excellent camp experience to youngsters each summer
Camp Farley's mission is to create a supportive environment for culturally diverse youth and adults to reach their fullest potential by:
- providing a safe, enjoyable outdoor learning experience,
- providing opportunities to develop leadership, social and group living skills while fostering creativity, independence and responsibility,
- offering a choice of age appropriate programs that build confidence and self- esteem,
- encouraging an understanding and respect for the environment, animals, agriculture, and natural resources,
- building an appreciation and acceptance of the differences in people, and
- developing a caring community.
At Camp Farley youngsters learn through experiential or "hands-on" learning and gain valuable life skills needed to be successful - as children and adults. These skills include communication, decision-making, problem solving, sharing, and conflict resolution. They gain these skills at Camp Farley from traditional and contemporary camp activities, social interaction with other children & staff, and the unique experiences inherently found at a traditional summer camp.
Camp Farley goals are:
- to have fun,
- to learn about the outdoors,
- to learn to live, work and play with others,
- to learn self-reliance,
- to learn to get along away from home,
- to increase confidence and self-esteem,
- to develop some new skills and interests.
The most readily identifiable educational objectives for Camp Farley are the processes related to the following five developmental goals:
- To provide opportunities for our campers to build good character, foster a sense of self worth and to help them to express and understand their feelings.
- Each camper will choose activities each day that allow them to explore their interests or challenge themselves to grow.
- Each camper will participate in getting-to-know-you games at the beginning of their stay at camp allowing them to begin to feel a part of the camp community.
- Each camper will receive encouragement and positive comments from staff members and be encouraged to share these same kinds of comments with each other.
- Each camper will have an opportunity each day to share their experiences during the day and how they felt during their activities and respond to the experiences of others.
- To promote an appreciation of and a sense of responsibility for the natural world and the resources our world provides.
- Each camper will participate in at least one nature activity each week.
- Each camper will participate in our camp's recycling program.
- Each camper will be encouraged to use reusable bottles for drinking water.
- The camp will provide elective activities that allow campers to explore our natural world and its resources.
- To promote a sense of good citizenship, leadership and responsibility to their group.
- Each camper will have the opportunity to share in tasks to take care of their camp.
- Each overnight camper will share in development of the rules for their cabin each week.
- Campers will participate in activities that help to build a sense of teamwork and leadership.
- To promote an environment which values and models diversity and allows campers to meet and get to know people from cultures outside of their common experience.
- The camp will strive to build a staff that represents a variety of cultures and nationalities and to welcome all campers.
- Campers and staff members will be encouraged to share experiences to learn about different cultures and experiences.
- To promote a sense of healthy risk taking to promote camper development and growth.
- Campers will be offered a variety of activities to choose from during electives programs and will be exposed to a sampling of camp activities during scheduled activities.
- The camp will follow the "Challenge by Choice" model - allowing campers to decide whether or not they are ready for the next challenge.
- The camp will ensure that campers wear all appropriate safety equipment and follow all safety rules when engaging in higher risk activities.